The Ford Motor Company entered the business world on July 16, 1903 with only $ 28,000 in cash. At that time it was a small company in a Detroit wagon factory with 10 people on the staff. One year after the company started its operations (in 1904) the foreign expansion programme began.
On August 17, 1904 a modest plant opened in the small town Walkersville, Ontario, with the name of the Ford Motor Company of Canada, Ltd. It was the beginning of an overseas organization of manufacturing plants, assembly plants and a dealer network.
The company had hard times in its first years, young Henry Ford, as chief engineer and later as president, directed a development and production programme. Some of Ford cars were experimental and never reached the public. But some of their models were an immediate success.
During the years of its fast expansion the Ford Motor Company was producing trucks and tractors (in 1917), it bought the Lincoln Motor Company (in 1922), built the first of 196 Ford Tri-Motor airplanes which in 1925 America's first commercial airlines used with a great success.
In 1942 the civilian car production stopped as the company was working for the U.S. war industry. The huge wartime programme was producing "Liberator" bombers, aircraft engines, jeeps, tanks and other types of war machinery.
Ford was the first international company. In 1914 it had assembly plants in Canada, Europe, Australia, South America and Japan. The real opportunity to become a global company came with the electronic revolution of the late 1980s. In 1987 Ford launched a computer-based system that linked manufacturing and engineering groups in Ford factories all over the world. Now Ford represents itself in 200 countries around the world. It is the world's second-largest industrial corporation and the second-largest producer of cars and trucks.
Although Ford is better known as a manufacturer of cars, trucks and tractors, it now produces a wide range of other products such as industrial engines, construction machinery, glass and plastics. And Ford has a good reputation in other businesses: financial services, insurance, automobile spare parts, and electronics.
Ex. 1. Answer the following questions.
• What did a small Detroit factory produce?
• What range of products did the Ford Company produce in wartime?
• Where did the Ford Company start its first overseas manufacturing plant?
• How did the company develop in its first years?
• In which countries did Ford have assembly plants in 1914?
Ex. 4. Complete the following sentences using the necessary prepositions.
1. Nobody wants to work... the direction ... this manager. 2. When did this company enter ... the market? 3. 1 have only fifty dollars ... cash. 4. Who arranged our visit ... the manufacturing plant? 5. They went... that direction. 6 Video games ... good graphics are a huge success ... overseas and home markets. 7. There was a wide range ...goods ... the shop. 8. The new plane is... production now. 9. They reached success... hard work.
Упражнение 1. Раскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в Past Simple.
1. What your neighbours (to do) yesterday? 2. Mr Smith (to fix) his car yesterday morning. 3. His wife (to water) her lovely flowers. 4. Their children (to clean) the yard and then they (to play) basketball. 5. In the evening their boys (to listen) toloud music and (to watch) TV. 6. Their little girl (to cry) a little and then (to smile). 7. Her brothers (to shout) at her. 8. Mrs Smith (to work) in the kitchen. 9. She (to bake) a delicious apple pie. 10. She (to cook) a nice dinner. 11. She (to wash) the dishes and (to look) very tired. 12. The children (to brush) their teeth, (to yawn) a little and (to go) to bed. 13. Their mother (to change) her clothes and (to brush) her hair. Then she (to talk) on the phone. 14. Her husband (to smoke) a cigarette and (to talk) to his wife. 15. They (to wait) for the bus. The bus (to arrive) at 9 o'clock.
Упражнение 1. Раскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в Past Simple или Past Continuous.
1. I (to play) computer games yesterday. 2. I (to play) computer games at five o'clock yesterday. 3. He (to play) computer games from two till three yesterday. 4. We (to play) computer games the whole evening yesterday. 5. My brother (not to play) tennis yesterday. He (to play) tennis the day before yesterday. 6. My sister (not to play) the piano at four o'clock yesterday. She (to play) the piano the whole evening. 7. When I came into the kitchen, mother (to cook). 8. She (to cook) the whole day yesterday. 9. We (to wash) the floor in our flat yesterday. 10. We (to wash) the floor in our flat from three till four yesterday. 11. You (to do) your homework yesterday? 12. You (to do) your homework from eight till ten yesterday?
Упражнение 2. Раскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в Past Simple или Past Continuous.
1. When I (to come) home, my little sister (to sleep). 2. When Nick (to come) home, his brother (to play) with his toys. 3. When mother (to come) home, I (to do) my homework. 4. When father (to come) home, Pete (to sleep). 5. When mother (to come) home, the children (to play) on the carpet. 6. When I (to get) up, my mother and father (to drink) tea. 7. When I (to come) to my friend's place, he (to watch) TV. 8. When I (to see) my friends, they (to play) football. 9. When I (to open) the door, the cat (to sit) on the table. 10. When Kate (to open) the door, the children (to dance) round the firtree.